RPM verification/file permission question

Robert Sanders rsanders at TrustedCS.com
Thu Oct 25 19:36:01 UTC 2012

I raised a question on the call earlier noticing the absence of any ACL related checks in the RHEL6 STIG compared to the RHEL5 STIG.  Someone (Shawn?  - apologies if incorrect) that RPM would ensure correct settings.  I was thinking about this afterward and wondered if there should be a line item requiring a periodic 'have rpm verify all installed packages' check.  While RPM will make sure that things are setup correctly, I didn't see any checks to see if a change had been made to ACLs after the fact.  AIDE might pick up on this also, but I've never used it so I don't know.

Sincerely,
  Rob Sanders
===========================
Rob Sanders
Sr. Secure Systems Engineer
Raytheon Trusted Computer Solutions
12950 Worldgate Drive, Suite 600
Herndon, Virginia 20170
Security Blanket Support: 1-866-230-1317
Security Blanket Email: SecurityBlanket at TrustedCS.com
Office: 703-896-4762
Fax:    703-318-5041
Email: RSanders at TrustedCS.com