Proper forums for these questions?

Andrew Gilmore agilmore2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:27:02 UTC 2012

> > Are those
> > indications sufficient for addition to the SSG, perhaps with a low
> > severity?
>
> For the security discussion (non-compliance) portion, it's certainly
> worth including as a discussion point (and making available as a Rule
> for parties who may have specific use cases where this might really
> matter).  For a baseline with a wide audience such as the STIG, I had
> argued against inclusion.  But if you feel that there's value in
> enforcing this as a compliance check (which is to say, that the security
> benefits outweigh the costs as part of maintaining the baseline as well
> as of enforcement itself), please say so and throw a patch up to the list.

And this is why I'm interested in participating in this community, because
it is way easier to make good arguments for risk acceptance or avoidance
when the provenance of the requirements is known. I'm with Jeffery on this
one, but good luck getting this past anyone who is used to the old rules,
or is simply applying the RHEL 5 profile to RHEL 6. Grr.

I'm also in favor of postfix, although we never did get the RHEL 5 CIS
benchmark to recommend deprecation of sendmail.

Andrew