Alternate way to to graphical login banner, with logging of acceptence

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 05:35:22 UTC 2012

On 11/27/12 8:41 AM, David Smith wrote:
> Agreed.  The criteria by which we're supposed to be deciding which
> things are important (and their respective degrees of importance)
> points directly to impact on confidentiality/integrity/availability.
> I'm not seeing how the login banner addresses any of those areas.

Then why do we have an entire section on login banners, mapped to some
16 different government policies?
http://people.redhat.com/swells/scap-security-guide/RHEL6/output/rhel6-guide.html#item-accounts-banners

Current RHEL-based login banners do not specifically log user
acceptance, and to mitigate that most accepted banner prose includes
language around "by continuing past this point.... you accept." Legal
people have found this to be perfectly acceptable and for that reason it
appears we can move on (which it appears David and Jeff are getting at).

With that said, should users want RHEL to natively log such acceptances,
they should put in an RFE through their vendor rep. I'll be happy to
assist people with putting in RFEs should they not know who their Red
Hat contact is.