using SCC/CSCC with SSG content

Brian Peake PEAKE at HIPKLLC.COM
Fri Nov 2 13:22:50 UTC 2012

Shawn,
First, if SCC 3.02 from DISA is installed via rpm (requires PKI CAC), the
documentation is in /opt/scc/documentation. There is a cscc-Readme.txt and
a SCC_UserManual_RHEL.pdf.

I have been using the GUI SCC version of it, however, I just ran ./cscc,
and it also works, however I had already done my configuration through the
GUIĀŠ
1. ZIP ssg-rhel6-cpe-dictionary.xml ssg-rhel6-cpe-oval.xml
ssg-hel6-oval.xml ssg-rhel6-xccdf.xml
2. Start SCC (hopefully you have X windows installed). cd /opt/scc  then
./scc (yea I am root - and it does not work from gnome menu).
3. SCAP Compliance Checker opens. Select Edit -> Check SCAP Analysis and
then select SCAP Content. SCAP Content window opens.
4. Uncheck the RHEL5 content. Click on the Add (top left button), select
your ZIP file from step 1, open. Now it is imported (BTW it places it in
/opt/scc/resources/content)
5. Select/Check ssg-rhel6, then click on the "test" profile to change it
to server, stig-server or what ever. Select OK. (test is the first
profile, that is why it gets used initially)
6. Select Local Computer (if local) and select Analyze Selected Computers.
7. Once it runs, Select Results from the Menu -> Recent Reports ->
yourReport to view it in html.

(note- if you run the stig-server option, it will hang at the end trying
to generate the reports (due to size?), however "server" profile does run
to finish. I can monitor the
/opt/scc/Results/SCAP/mybox/ssg-rhel6/0.1/dateofscan/xxx.htm for the
reports to finish and then Cancel Analysis in the SCC GUI.)

The cscc-Readme goes into how to import content and configure the
/opt/scc/options.xml, but again I have not gotten into that much and
probably won't now I have OpenSCAP working.

I just did a compare between OpenScap results vs. SCC3.02 results using
SSG content. Significant differences. Using the SSG with OpenSCAP is
nearly complete, whereas using it with SSC many of the checks are not run
(Not Selected SSC=216 OpenSCAP=179, Not Checked SSC=28 OpenSCAP=26) .
Things that passed with SCC (for example pam_cracklib.so retry, dcredit,
ucredit, ocredit, lcredit, and on are passing), but with OpenSCAP and SGG
content, they are failing. Not sure why yet of course.

Hopefully this is helpfully and you can run SCC using your content AND
hopefully SPAWAR is paying attention and will update their SCC tool to run
the SGG content!

Very Respectfully,

Brian