Postgres problems again

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 09:23:04 UTC 2013

Hi Attila,

Sorry for the late reply.

Le 27/09/2013 10:34, Attila Heidrich a écrit :
> Currently I have to restart the RHQ server twice a day with a cron job.
> Can I restart the server itself with a script triggered by some alert?

Most probably. You said in previous email that opened files prevented
the server from running, but did you have any error messages in RHQ
server or Postgres logs?

You might be impacted by Bug 1009640 - "JDBC connections leaked during
baseline calculations". I can help you getting RHQ 4.9 rebuilt with the
necessary patch.

> Attila
>

> 2013/9/24 Attila Heidrich <attila.heidrich at gmail.com
> <mailto:attila.heidrich at gmail.com>>
>
>     The version data below belongs to the server which runs the RHQ
>     server and the RHQ database.
>
>     I understand it's easy to reach the 10K open files, I can also
>     accept if it is normal, but what are the recommended settings then?
>     Other Pg servers which don't run the RHQ server works for a long
>     time with higher "active backend" amount and much smaller "open
>     files" amount!
>
>     root at ct-front:/etc/postgresql/9.2/main# ulimit -n
>     1024

I would recommend to set this to 2048. Can you also check the system
wide opened file limit ("sysctl -n fs.file-max")

>     Attila

If your server stops working again, can you run this command and share
the results:

"ps --no-headers -f -U postgres | awk '{print $2}' | while read pid ; do
echo "Postgres Process: " ; ps --no-headers -f -p $pid ; echo "Opened
files: " ; lsof -p $pid | wc -l ; echo ; echo  ; done"

Regards,
Thomas