RHq-Metrics Use cases ( was Re: No concept of a platform? )

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 20:29:47 UTC 2015

>>> yes, that’s what the cassandra subsystem does (talking about the subsystem,not the rhq C* EAR deployment)
>>
>> After some investigation last week and some helpful explanations and demos from mazz, I better understand that the cassandra subsystem is the best, most appropriate way to embed Cassandra. It has not been clear whether or not embedding Cassandra would be a viable deployment option. If it is, then I think we should get rid of the C* EAR deployment and start focusing more on the subsystem.
>
> The reason for the dependency on C* master (v3.0) are some patches that we did to support the embedded execution. The version used within the EAR (v2.x) terminates the VM when invalid configurations are detected (using System.exit())
>
> I would recommend using C* master, unless there are good reason not to (i.e. CQL incompatibilities, unclear roadmap, etc)

The main driver for memory backend was the (added) startup time of Cassandra vs. memory.
When Wildfly itself starts in 3-4 seconds, adding 2-3 more for C* seems pretty odd. My understanding is/has been
that people do not want to take this hit.

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn