No concept of a platform?

Heiko Braun ike.braun at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 07:22:40 UTC 2015

I am thinking about these things (in no particular order):

- consistent configuration & management of the different components
- service model (single vm & distributed)
- scalability in general (at least support for multi node installations)
- difference between user and system code
- API dependencies
- Service dependencies

My hope was that at some point rhq.next evolves into a more integrated and coherent whole, possibly even using wildfly.core as the baseline. But the recent addition of the Cassandra EAR make me believe that we get one step further away from that goal with every new component being added.

It would fine to declare rhq.next as a loose collection of components that can be integrated and used in different ways, but then the dependencies on certain API’s (namely EE7) should be reconsidered. These API dependencies limit the way in which the rhq.next components can be re-used.

On the other hand, if we where about the create a more coherent system, then chosing a baseline (i.e. wf-core) and integrating with it would mean to abandon the WAR and EAR  and do the integration on a lower level for all the benefits it has (i.e. jboss modules, wf subsystems and extensions).  This would as well require us to revisit the API and service dependencies introduced to the project (EE7, activeMQ).

Looking at the current codebase it seems that everything is put into a WAR or EAR for the sake of simplicity without a second thought about any of the above. I believe if the project proceed in that direction then it will neither become a reusable collection of components nor an integrated whole.

/Heiko