Releasing agent memory to OS

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 12:18:00 UTC 2014

Am 29.08.2014 um 17:57 schrieb Lukas Krejci <lkrejci at redhat.com>:
> Setting these to 5 (meaning maximum 5% free heap) lowered the total memory
> usage from 188M to 154M during "quiet" times and to 165M during peak times in
> the agent lifecycle (peak probably happening during discovery) in the default

I am not sure if this is a good thing, as the VM probably needs to run much more
garbage collections as it will first try to keep the working set in the heap.
The second thing is that requesting and freeing memory from the OS is more
expensive than object allocations inside the heap.

I am not opposed to using those parameters to reduce the memory usage,
but we need to make sure with longer test runs and gc-analysis that this does
not increase the cpu usage of the agent and/or slow it down.

It may be better to further reduce the memory usage inside the agent and the
plugins and let the agent' VM free up the memory when it thinks it is a good time to do so.