gsoc2014 - Implement a big screen dashboard for RHQ

mike thompson mithomps at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 00:22:37 UTC 2014

Hi Willy,

My comments are inline…

On 18 Mar 2014, at 15:02, Willy Martin Aguirre Rodriguez <marti1003 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the information.
>
> In Rest api I get all necessery information for build graphic
> using http://d3js.org/

d3 is an amazingly flexible framework but its design with regard to reusability leaves a little to be desired. There are now over a dozen d3 based frameworks trying to fit this niche so adopting something like http://weblog.bocoup.com/reusability-with-d3/  would be a good start. With emphasis more on extensibility than ease of use.

Windowing (portal-like) tech for this is not yet determined and could be something like:
1) jquery ui portlets: http://jqueryui.com/sortable/#portlets
2) masonry:  http://masonry.desandro.com/
3) other TBD
 Anyway, we are not sure if this needs to go into something like hawt.io, Uberfire or not. This will need some more discussions.

Some of the REST backend is already built to provide what you need (there is probably more that need to be built however). The REST services are in RESTEasy (https://www.jboss.org/resteasy) and documented with RestAssured.

I’m not sure what the requirements are with respect to responsive layout, but this would probably be important as it could on many different size screens (so it might even be beyond normal screen size rules).

> I could use http://marionettejs.com/ (backbonejs)

I think this would need to in angularJS as that is what we are migrating toward (from SmartGWT) and we don’t want multiple js frameworks to integrate. Also, many other Red Hat projects are using Angular as well so we could tap that expertise as well.

Hope this helps.

— Mike Thompson (mtho11 on irc)
email: mithomps at redhat.com