gsoc2014 - Implement a big screen dashboard for RHQ

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 18 20:42:13 UTC 2014

Hey Willy,

> I really interesting in  this project

Glad you found us and this mailing list.

> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/GSOC14Ideas?_sscc=t#jive_content_id_Implement_a_big_screen_dashboard_for_RHQ
>
> and I would like to contact with the mentor for help me with me proposal or discuss in this list

Currently RHQ has a Dashboard with several things on it, among which are graphs.
Unfortunately this is not really suitable for consumption on big screens like you perhaps
know from Nasa or such.

Now the graphs have really improved from what we had in the past, but still ...

.. it is not only about showing "some random graph"; but also about ways to select and
group them.

Right now RHQ is heading to (slowly) move the UI tech to something AngularJS based, so
the dashboard would use this - perhaps in conjunction with hawt.io.
We already export our metrics data via REST, so that solution would need to support this.
Same to select which metrics are supposed to be shown etc.
I also think that it could be good to explore some graphing styles in such a work.

Does that give you a first impression?

While I am listed as the first contact on the mentors page, I think it is good to discuss the proposal
here and also to work in the open - especially as we have people on the team that know a lot more
about the problem domain.

Thanks
   Heiko (pilhuhn on irc)