Cassandra + ElasticSearch

Elias Ross genman at noderunner.net
Thu Mar 13 20:30:40 UTC 2014

So I got ElasticSearch to store and load data from a Cassandra node.
Apparently none of the shared storage solutions are officially
supported by ElasticSearch anymore, perhaps for performance
reasons[*], but it solves at least one of the problems with how to
manage that data within an RHQ cluster.

[*] I do think that if you have E.S. itself talking to Cassandra on
the local host, the performance would be about the same as a local
filesystem anyway.

I think the next problem is how to integrate ElasticSearch within RHQ
and LogStash with the agent.

I don't think that's actually that hard. You can bootstrap E.S. within
a unit test quite easily. LogStash running within RHQ agent is likely
pretty straightforward.

The other questions about how to organize, query and display this data
seem more pertinent. Also, how to handle existing log events, etc.

Anyway, if there is enough interest, I'll post the Cassandra piece.