Disabled metrics are still collected

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 15:20:37 UTC 2014

While looking into another issue dealing with metric collection
failures, I have stumbled across something strange. I can see metrics
being collected by the agent for metrics which are not enabled. Is this
expected?

In my case I am working with a non-Tx datasource resource from the AS7
plug-in. Even though many of the metrics are disabled by default, I am
seeing some disabled metrics included in the measurement collection
request:

PreparedStatementCacheCurrentSize
PreparedStatementCacheMissCount
PreparedStatementCacheMissCount
PreparedStatementCacheAddCount
PreparedStatementCacheAccessCount
PreparedStatementCacheAccessCount
PreparedStatementCacheDeleteCount
PreparedStatementCacheDeleteCount
PreparedStatementCacheHitCount
PreparedStatementCacheHitCount
AverageBlockingTime
AverageCreationTime
MaxCreationTime
TimedOut
TotalCreationTime
TotalCreationTime
TotalBlockingTime
TotalBlockingTime

If this is happening with other resources and resource types, I can
imagine that the load generated on and by the agent is much higher then
what would be expected.

http://ur1.ca/gt6mv contains the log message showing these disabled
metrics being included in the getValues call. Something to note is that
even though the above metrics are disabled, the PC reports them as
enabled as seen in the log message.

Is this expected? A bug? Something we are already aware of?
--
Larry O'Leary
https://plus.google.com/+LarryOLeary