Scalability issues in RHQ 4.9 - A summary

Elias Ross genman at noderunner.net
Sun Mar 9 17:41:34 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:

> As you probably know is Fuse Fabric8 also part of the Red Hat family and
> we are checking how we can work together so that they can use parts of
> what we have an vice versa.
> Fabric8 is (iirc) using ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash Kibana) for parts of
> what we call Events (Logs are one kind of events, but also incoming snmp
> traps, JMX notifications etc. could be Events in RHQ). So we are also
> checking if ELK could be something for RHQ.
> And then there is Solandra (https://github.com/tjake/Solandra ) that is Solr
> search on top of Cassandra, so that we could perhaps end up with ELCK here.
>
> I just mention that, as we are aware that the current Events have some
> room for improvement and I do not want you to spend energy on something
> that will be changing/replacing soonish anyway. There is no decision made,
> and of course every input is very welcome.

Honestly I use Splunk and are happy to continue using it.

But I do use the event system for a few things. The existing event
system has some scalability issues. I think a few weeks addressing
them (along the lines of my proposal) makes sense at least in the
short term.

Regarding ELK: I'd be happy to hear somebody how all of those
technologies might fit in with RHQ and Cassandra. Logstash, perhaps
embedded in the Agent or through a plugin, makes lots of sense, but
I'm not sure how well K or E (of ELK) fits in with Cassandra. If there
needs to be (yet another) database, so be it. Still I worry it's going
to be more work to admin than I get out of.

I don't think full text search (Solandra) really makes sense, nor is
it necessary. Splunk does have a simple capability of matching tokens,
but doesn't do document ranking, etc., and is perfectly useable.