Bug 968361 - Improve database plugin design to support connection pooling

Elias Ross genman at noderunner.net
Sat Jan 4 23:19:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Thomas Segismont <tsegismo at redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Elias Ross for contributing the original patch from which this
> changeset is derived.

You're welcome. Thanks for getting this in.

Yes I didn't work to maintain backwards compatibility. One discussed
issue was including the additional library dependencies. One original
request was to rely on the database pooling provided by each vendor's
driver version, but I found that to be too tedious to implement.

One benefit in using the BoneCP library is that especially in
transitioning to using pooled connections, I was leaking connections
in code. Prepared statements as well. The benefit of the library is
that it will identify such bugs, prevent bad plugin code from using
too many connections, as well as automatically clean up connections no
longer used--i.e. fix bugs that do occur.

One thing which I didn't get to work is being able to (possibly) load
the JDBC driver from disk and not require a separate plugin for each
vendor's database. Is this something that can be done?