Github Migration - Resources

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 18:25:19 UTC 2014

Hello Everybody,

Thank you for participating in this morning's session about the github migration. Here are some resources to help with migration:

1) Fork a repo: https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo

Step 3 talks about multiple remotes. In our case, the remotes are fedorahosted and github. The man page for git-remote is also helpful for this.

2) SSH Key Generation: https://help.github.com/articles/generating-ssh-keys

I recommend using -b flag with a value higher or equal 2048 and also use a password for the key. If you want to add a password to the key but not be prompted every time look into ssh-add (Step 2 briefly mentions it).

3) SSH Configuration: https://gist.github.com/jexchan/2351996

This gist shows a way to configure the ssh client to support multiple keys and host specific keys.

This morning I was running into an issue with the ssh client because I had ForwardAgent enabled. So the ssh client was picking up the wrong key chain from the host I originated the ssh connection chain.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need help with the migration.

Thank you,
Stefan Negrea

Software Engineer