Auto-import server plugin

Elias Ross genman at noderunner.net
Fri Feb 21 04:05:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Libor Zoubek <lzoubek at redhat.com> wrote:

> I remember several people incl. me talking about auto-import feature for
> RHQ. For sure, this feature can be implemented by anyone just by hitting CLI
> or REST with his own script.

I use cron + CLI to do this. I was thinking of creating the same
plugin, but the CLI works pretty well.

I also have a CLI script to do the opposite: If a server is down for >
N days, I remove it. This is useful for QA or development systems.

I did create a server plugin to remove agents that haven't connected
in > N days, since that's something the CLI can't do.

> I wrote server plugin doing the same. It's a scheduled job running every 5
> minutes - better would be if plugin could listen whenever new resources
> appear. Do we have such feature?.

The storage nodes appear automatically, although that's hardcoded. I
was thinking if RHQ supported CDI, and your server plugins could use
CDI, you could create an event listener for inventory import. Or
whatever you wanted.

> Do you guys have any ideas about this plugin? Or at least ACK to push it to
> master and be built & deployed to RHQ?

I have a ton of plugins I'd like to get in, but yeah the process isn't so clean.

I was hoping Github repos for server and agent plugins might happen.