Github Migration - Plan

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 17:06:38 UTC 2014

Hello Everybody,

Tooling and infrastructure are very important to any open source community. As stated in "RHQ State of the Union" email we will migrate the source code repository to github. The migration will just move the code from one host to another; no structural changes for the project are planned at this time. The developer and user mailing lists for the project will remain on fedorahosted.org.

Phase 1 - 2/24/2014 - Preparation

Scope:
 - Clean current repository prior to migration
 - Have github accounts ready

Team (prior to deadline):
 - Delete any unneeded personal and BZ related branches
 - If you have a specific branch that you want to keep please email me prior to this deadline
 - Make sure you have a github account to be used post migration
 - Setup the github account with a new ssh key and configure ssh client

Me (on 2/24):
 - Will remove branches that point to closed BZs on fedorahosted.org
 - Schedule a Google Hangout to discuss the migration and showcase Github

Phase 2 - 2/26/2014 - Trial migration

Scope:
 - Attempt a migration (not the final migration)

Team: N/A

Me:
 - Remove Github repositories from the previous migration attempt
 - Attempt the migration to github to check for duration and potential issues
 - If any issues arise I will try to mitigate them before the next phase, if not enough time then delay next phase

Phase 3 - 02/28/2014 - Migration

Scope:
 - Migrate to github

Team (after migration):
 - Update the config URL to point to github.

Me:
 - Disable write access to all current contributors to fedorahosted.org repo (with Mazz's help)
 - Migrate repository
 - Enable write access to the new
 - Send out detailed information on how to reconfigure local repositories clones
 - Reconfigure release tooling  and CI jobs to point to the repository location

Please let me know if you have any concerns about this plan. I will keep the team informed throughout the process, so watch for emails and meeting invites.

Thank you,
Stefan Negrea

Software Engineer