[checkstyle] what I do not like

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 12:05:04 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-02 11:27, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

>> Am 02.12.2014 um 11:16 schrieb Peter Palaga <ppalaga at redhat.com>:
>>
>> Yes, formatting the whole file is OK but only if the file is new. Otherwise, it can introduce insignificant changes. Formatting changes are generally OK, IMO, but one should try to have them in separate commits. -- P
>
> According to theory a one time (re-)format commit should be ok, as from there on everyone
> a) has the same formatting settings
> b) checkstyle enforces a)
> so those smaller differences should vanish.

Yes, both a) and b) is my wish and aim, but we cannot take any of the
two for granted now (because both points are simply not the case) and in
the future (because we cannot control/enforce which IDEs contributors use).

Sad, but true, contributors should always carefully consider what they
format. It is generally safe to format only lines changed by oneself.

-- P