4.10 Install Changes

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Thu Sep 19 17:13:56 UTC 2013

In an effort to simplify 4.10 installation we're removing the need for
the user to explicitly encode and set passwords for rhq.storage.password
and rhq.server.management.password, in rhq-server.properties.

The changes are now in master.  These values, as well as
rhq.storage.username, will now be generated at install time and will be
set in rhq-server.properties automatically.  This reduces the complexity
of install to some degree, relieving the user of having to think about
passwords that are not really relevant to him, and reducing the chance
of error.  It's also been set up such that the RHQ Server resources
should, upon discovery, be updated with the correct creds and therefore
should connect seamlessly and begin monitoring.

The 4.10 wiki pages have been updated:
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/User+Documentation.

Along with these changes the storage credentials are now also stored in
the DB as part of the system config.  This allows for HA installs to use
the existing creds for the storage cluster.  The added support added a
DB schema change, so a dbsetup or dbsetup-upgrade will be required.

Let me know if you see any issues.  Thanks,

Jay