Checking 'java.io.tmpdir' exists and is readable/writable

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Tue Oct 1 16:38:45 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

We had a few problems reported recently and it appeared they were all
related to the 'java.io.tmpdir' not existing or not being
readable/writable. Reports were for Windows platform, but this could
happen on other platforms as well (nothing prevents you from defining
this Java system property instead of using the default value).

As we heavily rely on this directory, Larry proposed we add a check and
fail the server startup if needed.

I think adding a check is a good idea and that a warning message (in the
server logs and why not in the UI) would be enough as the problem does
not prevent RHQ from running core services (like handling inventory and
measurement reports).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Thomas