Cassandra branch merging into master in the next couple of hours

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Fri May 31 03:23:36 UTC 2013

I have made a few changes that will hopefully address most of the pain points people encountered with the merge.

1) Running build_deps.sh
This is no longer necessary. I was able to get the necessary artifacts uploaded in the JBoss nexus repo.

2) dbsetup issues
As I pointed out during the demo, the only time you really need to apply schema changes from the dbutils module for your dev-container is to apply updates to an existing db. There is no need to install a new schema since this will be done for you when you run rhqctl install; consequently, I have made the following changes in dbutils:

    * Cassandra schema changes are disabled by default
    * You have to set -Dstorage-schema to activate Cassandra schema changes
    * Cassandra schema changes are only applied when either the dbsetup-upgrade
      or dbreset property is set.

I think this will alleviate a lot of the problems people have encountered. Unlike postgres, we don't have a storage node up and running until we build the dev-container and then explicitly install the storage node. It therefore does not make much sense to try to apply schema changes to C* when running dbsetup.

3) hostname problems
The dev-container storage node relies on the storage node installer default for setting the storage node hostname. This is determined by invoking InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress(). Depending on your hosts configuration, this probably returns something other than localhost. That has been the experience reported by multiple people. I have updated the dev-container build so that a hostname of 127.0.0.1 is explicitly passed to the storage installer. This will hopefully resolve issues that people have been having.

Lastly, I have not updated any of the wiki docs yet. At this point I want to wait until we have these issues ironed out and have a consistent, repeatable build process. Thanks for everyone's patience.

- John