troubles building RHQ

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 02:02:29 UTC 2013

Hey Ian :)

> Solution: Set JAVA_HOME environment var to JDK7 install dir.

That is a now a requirement - you must build with JDK7 (even though runtime only needs JRE 6). This is mentioned here:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/Building+RHQ#BuildingRHQ-InstallJDK

"Download the latest release of JDK 7 available for your OS"

> 2) Solution: Pass -Ddbsetup-do-not-check-schema option to mvn.

This has always been the case - the first time you build, you need to pass -Ddbsetup to build the database. Or, you can do what you have here, don't have the build do a schema check. This is mentioned here:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/Building+RHQ#BuildingRHQ-BuildRHQ

"-Ddbsetup" is only required the first time you build;"

> 3) [ERROR] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Interesting - did this happen on the xml-schema module? Don't think I saw that before. Usually this happens on the GWT module build, the gwt compiler settings can be defined to specify more PermGen mentioned here:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/Advanced+Build+Notes#AdvancedBuildNotes-GWTCompilationMemoryRequirements

Not sure if that would help if this really happened in a build in some other non-gwt module - again, I think this is the first time anything like that has been reported.

> 4)
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.bsc.maven:maven-processor-plugin:2.0.6-redhat:process-test
> (create-rest-api-report) on project rest-docs-generator: Error
> Solution: Stop passing "--threads 1C" option from mvn (see
> http://code.google.com/p/maven-annotation-plugin/issues/detail?id=32

This is Heiko's rest docs generator stuff. Even he would admit we shouldn't be running this on a standard dev build but we never got around to making this optional in the maven setup.

Heiko - you might want to document this solution Ian mentions here in the Advanced Build Notes wiki page somewhere: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/Advanced+Build+Notes

> 5)
> [INFO] Compiling module org.rhq.enterprise.gui.coregui.CoreGUI
> [INFO] [ERROR] An internal compiler exception occurred
> [INFO] com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.InternalCompilerException: Unexpected
> error during visit.

This is yet another one we've never seen before. I don't know of anyone reporting they can't build CoreGUI GWT module due to these compile issues.

I think someone needs to do a fully clean build (by "fully clean" I mean remove $HOME/.m2/repository, do a fresh git clone and rebuild master and see what happens. I can do that Monday morning and flush out any problems that I hit.

Thanks Ian! Hope all is well...

John Mazz