Stroage node memory requirement

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 11:23:00 UTC 2013

When a memory node starts up I see a minimum heap size of 2GB.
This may be a good value for production, but for smaller setups (laptop, demo, ...) this may be much too much.
Especially on Linux systems with a default swappiness[1] of 60 and 8 GB RAM,

In that case we have 2GB+ Storage + 512M + Server + 128MB+  = almost 3 GB RAM in use.
With a swappiness of 60%, the system starts to swap at 3,6GB memory usage and thus may
also swap in/out memory of the server and the agent, greatly reducing overall performance

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn