!Action Required! Change to dev-container structure

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 13:23:10 UTC 2013

On 6/11/2013 9:15 PM, John Sanda wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 5:59 PM, Jay Shaughnessy <jshaughn at redhat.com
> <mailto:jshaughn at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>> We've made a change to the dev-container structure as a result of the
>> use cases we're satisfying for the rhqctl installs and upgrades, and
>> to be in line with the suggested layout for a production install.
>> The main change is that the existing files have been pushed down a
>> level, under dev-container/rhq-server.
>>
>> So, the default structure after appserver -Pdev package:
>>
>>    rhq.root/dev-container/rhq-server/...
>>
>> And, after an rhqctl install:
>>
>>    rhqRoot/rhq-data
>>    rhqRoot/dev-container/rhq-server
>>    rhqRoot/dev-container/rhq-server/rhq-storage
>>    rhqRoot/dev-container/rhq-agent
>>
>> After -Pdev clean you lose dev-container on down, as in the past.
>> You will maintain your cassandra data as it is outside of dev-container.
>>
>> ACTION: I suggest before your next pull you clean your dev-container
>> and then rebuild after the pull.  After the pull all of the
>> dev-container updates with -Pdev will be working with the new locations.
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any issues,
>>

> Can you provide the gory details on why the changes were necessary? I
> haven't been able to keep up with stuff the past couple days.

Sure.  It basically comes down to a few things:

 1. We should not force an RHQ Agent to ever move its install directory
    at upgrade time.
      * Moving the install directory invalidates RHQ Agent resources
        (due to plugin config settings), and we don't want to do that.
 2. We now have the 'rhqctl install' command and it has a fixed location
    for a new agent install, as a sibling to the server directory.
      * This allows new versions of the server to be unzipped and
        installed without affecting the agent location.
 3. We still want 'mvn -Penterprise,dev clean' to wipe the agent when it
    wipes the dev container.
      * Cleaning your dev container should not leave any dev component
        around, only existing data (RDB/C*) should survive.

So, basically we recommend that in production the layout be something like:

/opt/rhq
/opt/rhq/rhq-agent (or you can specify --from-agent-dir on upgrade, if
the agent is located elsewhere)
/opt/rhq/rhq-server-4.7 (the --from-server-dir on upgrade, for example)
/opt/rhq/rhq-server-4.8 (the currently running version, for example)
/opt/rhq-rhq-server-4.8/rhq-storage

The dev container follows this same approach.  By pushing down the
existing dev-container files under dev-container/rhq-server, we allow
the agent install to be a sibling of rhq-server (remember, 'rhqctl
install) will place it into the fixed location of the server install's
parent directory)  while still being under the dev-container umbrella.

In short, this change allows dev container to mimic prod, being managed
via rhqctl, while also ensuring the agent gets wiped along with the
dev-container on an mvn clean of the container.