deploying additional storage nodes

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 22:50:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 15:55 -0400, Stefan Negrea wrote:

> [...]

Perhaps this has been made too complicated. From early discussions the
plan was that the installer would take care of the initial storage node.
How it does that isn't important, only that it happens.

If I want to add an additional storage node then I need to install an
additional RHQ server in an HA manner. Again, the storage node would be
a byproduct of this process.

Finally, an option would be provided to add a storage node without an
additional RHQ server. In this manner, the expectation would be that I
install an agent and point it at the server and then use the storage
node plug-in to spin up a new storage node. For that matter, I should be
able to spin up a new storage node on every machine -- if I choose -- as
long as there is an agent running.

>From this thread, it seems that somehow this entire process has become
too complex. It also sounds like from a security point of view, someone
can install a storage node without an administrator (user with the
appropriate permissions) confirming/validating it?

As for using bundles, not even sure they would be needed. It seems like
the storage node plug-in itself should have the understanding of
installing and configuring the storage node regardless of this being the
first, second, fiftieth. As a user with the correct permissions I would
simply click the "Create New Storage Node" operation on the storage node
admin page and be asked which agent I wanted it on.

Overall option 3 seems like the only choice but there are still some
wrinkles. I think these wrinkles may be due to the complexity of how we
are actually installing and configuring Cassandra in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are reasons for this implementation
choice but in order to come to a resolution that works and keeps things
as simple and basic as possible, the implementation may need to be
modified.
--
Larry O'Leary
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112645929986009801513