keeping storage data dir across dev-container rebuilds

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Wed Jul 10 03:02:09 UTC 2013

When you rebuild your dev-container, there is currently no way to keep the existing storage data directories. This is inconsistent with the relational db where you can rebuild your server while keeping the relational db intact. There is a validation to check in the storage installer to fail the installation if the specified data directories are non-empty. I think this makes sense, particularly for production scenarios; however, we do want to be able to keep our storage db intact in the dev-container like we do with postgres. I was thinking about adding an option to the storage installer that could turn off that validation check. The option wouldn't even have to be included in the help/usage. It could remain undocumented since it is really intended for dev use. What do people think?