new automatic startup reconfig

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 17:48:36 UTC 2013

> Can we simply call into the installer from the server? My thought is
> that instead of having the startup script invoke the installer's
> reconfigure option, the server can somehow invoke it on its own.
> Thus, not exposing the user or the startup scripts/configuration to the
> workaround.

Yes, as mentioned, this is doable. It would probably require us to rearrange dependencies in the build since server jar would now have to have a dependency on the installer code, which it does not today and it would need to have a place to call into this during startup (probably in StartupBean somewhere?). We'd need to think about this more - do we even want to do this? This would be unexpected work to be done to support a temporary convenience fix. Charles would need to chime in.

> Sorry Mazz, I may have missed that in some previous emails or calls,
> on which purpose did we move the installer code out of the server code
> in the first place?

This was briefly announced on this mailing list back in October:

https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/rhq-devel/2012-October/002265.html

You can read this wiki page for the details:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/Deploying+Via+AS7+Extension+Module