new automatic startup reconfig

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 16:23:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 10:50 -0500, John Mazzitelli wrote:
> It is the startup script itself that launches "installer --reconfig". You'll see the line added in rhq-server.sh (or .bat) where it runs rhq-installer --reconfig at the same time it runs the actual RHQ Server.
>
> Yes, if a customer wants to write their own startup mechanism, they will have to remember to run "installer.sh --reconfig" if they ever change .properties or they can do what we did and run that every time you restart the server.
>
> Remember, you do not have to run this automatically every time you start the server like we are doing. We are only doing this as a convenience for the user because we assume people either will not know they have to run "installer --reconfig" or they will forget.
>
> But if they are disciplined, and they know "if I change .properties, I should run installer --reconfig after I restart the server", then they can avoid doing this every time automatically when the server starts and only run reconfig when they need to.
>
> It's a real bummer and it's a shame we have to jump through these hoops (especially when you consider this worked great in JBossAS 4) but it is what it is and we need to work around these AS7 problems until they are fixed in AS7.

Yeah. That is too bad. I was really hoping that we could simply gloss
over the change considering it is temporary. I really wouldn't want
users to begin to adopt this process only to find that it is no longer
necessary.

Is there any way we can simply make this process hidden or even part of
our standard startup? If not, what about at a minimum adding some type
of configuration comparison function to normal server startup that can
spit out a warning in the log to identify configuration changes in
the .properties file that have not yet been pushed into the server's
run-time configuration?

--
Larry O'Leary
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112645929986009801513