GitHub migration again -- The Plan

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 16:37:12 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 16:02:30 Thomas Segismont wrote:
> Le 27/02/2013 15:08, Heiko W.Rupp a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've updated the wiki page including "The Plan".
> >
> > I would like to finish this Plan within the coming 7 days so that
> > we will be able to switch over soon.
> >
> > https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/GitHub+migration#GitHubmigration
> > -Processofthemigrationitself%28%22Theplan%22%29
> >
> > Please comment. If you think it is ok, also say so please.
> >
> >     Heiko

> Hi Heiko,
>
> I read the wiki page and everything git-related looks fine to me.
>
> Still, if we choose to take the opportunity of the Github move to split
> the repo, I think we should also document the new build mechanism and
> the relationship between modules and core repository.

+1

> Splitting the repository will have important implications on CI side and
> we might also need a plan for Jenkins jobs.

This should be fairly simple, IMHO: each job we have will have to copied for
each new repo.

So instead of having rhq-master-compile, we're going to have to have:
rhq-core-master-compile
rhq-helper-master-compile
rhq-plugins-master-compile

The good thing is that those jobs are going to be independent and will not
require each other's build artifacts, because the policy we are adopting is
that only published modules from the other repos are admissible as deps.

One thing that WILL have to change rather substantially is the API checking,
but that's not directly related to Jenkins, it's a build issue. The API checks
now assume a uniform version of all RHQ modules, which is no longer going to
be true.