Storage Cluster Password Obfuscation

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Thu Aug 22 14:47:51 UTC 2013

Hello Everybody,

I just pushed an update that introduces password obfuscation for storage node credentials [1]. The obfuscation mechanism is identical to the one used for SQL credentials. The update requires rhq-server.properties to have an obfuscated password for "rhq.casssandra.password" property.

The password will be automatically set to the default obfuscated version on a full dev-container rebuilt. However, if you do not plan on doing a full dev-container rebuild anytime soon but you rebuild the server/jar module you will need to manually update the server properties file with an obfuscated version of the storage node password. Here are the steps to manually update a dev-container:
1) Run rhq-installer.sh with --dbpassword argument (or the new addition --encodepassword if you've rebuilt the installer) and note the obfuscated version of the password.
2) Update rhq.cassandra.password property in the rhq-server.properties file with the obfuscated password.

Please let me know if you need any help with updating the dev-container or have any issues with the password obfuscation.

[1] https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/rhq/rhq.git/commit/?id=7371e80747cbf082b478c4049f7c57029e2b5554

Thank you,
Stefan Negrea

Software Engineer