bootstrapping/deploying metrics db

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 14:26:32 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:15:12 Simeon Pinder wrote:
<... snip ... >
> Any reason why we can't do both?  For production installations, we add an
> optional installation step that provisions a Cassandra node on a remote
> box.

I think this is exactly the problem that John describes. It's a chicken-and-
egg problem (if you want to have Cassandra provisioned by our provisioning
subsystem).

If we have to implement a way of provisioning cassandra at installation time
(i.e. WITHOUT an actual RHQ server running and offering its services) then we
might just use that always and not bother with bundles for cassandra
provisioning.

> For dev mode and non-production installs we prepare to embed a
> Cassandra server but have the startup code check for an existing Cassandra
> node indicated by some server property, before defaulting to the embedded
> Cassandra node.  Probably want to disable the startup check after you've
> chosen local or remote so you don't have the primary metric store node
> flip-flopping locations after install.  Either way before startup you have
> your Cassandra node.