bootstrapping/deploying metrics db

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 13:31:38 UTC 2012

I have started thinking about how we will deploy our new metrics back end. So far I have been operating under the assumption that we will deploy Cassandra nodes with our provisioning system. The problem of bootstrapping ourselves in this fashion is that it introduces circular dependencies. Deploying a Cassandra node requires a running agent. A running agent implies MeasurementManager is initialized and is collecting metrics. The agent needs a back end to store metric data.

One possibility is to not fully initialize MeasurementManager until we have Cassandra up and running. This would require either the server to send notification to all agents so the each MeasurementManager instance can start up and start collecting metrics. Or the agent/MeasurementManager could poll the server to see when it can start collecting metrics. Neither of these is particularly appealing to me.

Anyone have thoughts on an alternative bootstrapping approach?

- John