JMX Connection - Cassandra

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 21:07:26 UTC 2012

Hello Everybody,

The new Cassandra plugin relies on the JMX plugin since most of the management is done via the exposed JMX interface. But I am running into a weird problem. After I restart the Cassandra node, all the JMX transactions from RHQ fail until the RHQ agent itself is restarted. I debugged the code and this is due to the fact the EMSConnection is no longer valid/connected after Cassandra is restarted. I looked at other plugins and there is no specific code do deal with this kind of situation. I also looked at the JMX plugin code and there is nothing that indicates a manual connection restart might be needed.

Restarting servers is a very common use case for JBoss AS servers; I am sure this detail was not overlooked so far.

Here is where I would need help:
1) What could be different with Cassandra and its JMX interface to cause this issue?
2) Did I miss something configuring the Cassandra plugin?
3) Should EMS take care of reconnecting to the server in case the underlying resource gets restarted?

Thank you,
Stefan Negrea

Software Engineer