RHQ and Cloud-TM project

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue May 15 12:41:30 UTC 2012

Pierangelo,

This sounds like a really exciting project.

As for enhancing the RHQ GUI, unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to "plug in" or customize new graphical screens into the RHQ GUI (as you would with something like a Portal app). However, that's not to say you just can't add new ones into the core GUI.

RHQ uses Google Web Toolkit (GWT) as the base GUI framework, with our component library being SmartGWT.

So I would point you to the GWT and SmartGWT documentation to learn about those third party frameworks.

Our GWT client app is found in our "coregui" module - so in our git repo, you'll find our graphicial user interface client app in "modules/enterprise/gui/coregui". I would look at that code to get familiar with the layout and how our current GUI screens work.

Here is the wiki pages on how to build RHQ from source, because you will need to do that to build your own RHQ:

http://rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/Building+RHQ
http://rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/Advanced+Build+Notes

If this is work you would like to contribute back, I'm sure the team would be happy to look at what you are doing and see how it can be incorporated into the core RHQ system.

Thanks,
John Mazz