'version' child element of maven 'plugin' blocks in poms

Ian Springer ian.springer at redhat.com
Tue May 1 13:07:04 UTC 2012

Fyi, for Simeon and anyone else who missed this in #rhq...

(08:25:49 PM)*ips:*spinder-afk: re your antrun question, the standard
version is defined in the root pom in the pluginManagement section
(08:26:25 PM)*ips:*we still have a lot of places in sub poms where we
hard code different versions, but we should remove them
(08:26:33 PM)*ips:*i've been doing that gradually as i see them
(08:26:51 PM)*ips:*because if you don't specify any version it will
inherit the version from pluginManagement
(08:26:55 PM)*ips:*which is what we want
(08:27:18 PM)*ips:*that's pretty much what we want for all maven
plugins, not just antrun

So, in summary, the standard is to only declare plugin versions in the root pom's pluginManagement section, and not anywhere in sub-pom's.