[GSOC-2012] Implement a Forge plugin to create RHQ plugins - idea

Shameera Rathnayaka shameerainfo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:40:15 UTC 2012

Hi Heiko,

I went thought the forge start-up guide and watch your video which
demonstrate how to create a RHQ plugin. It really helped me to understand
what are the requirements of this project.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:

> Shameera,
>
> > First of all thanks for your help so far, It would helped me to know
> what are the main functionality of Forge and RHQ projects. I will refer
> these tutorial for
>
> Forge can create project skeleton for a vast number of targets or target
> frameworks like Java EE with JSF or with GWT or ...
> Basically if you need to generate code somehow, you write a Forge plugin.
> This is a bit like the maven archetypes. So I don't think there
> is a single kind of project that it generates.
>
> RHQ on the other hand is a systems management and monitoring system. So
> the RHQ plugins will always be used to talk to so called
> managed resources (which may be a web server or a Linux host or a java
> process or a Ruby app).
> And in order to write such an RHQ plugin, a developer needs to generate
> some artifacts
> - plugin descriptor
> - plugin discovery class
> - plugin component class
> - maven pom file + file hierarchy
>
> and then if the user wants to monitor (= take metrics), the plugin
> component class needs additional code and the
> plugin descriptor needs to be augmented with <metric> elements

This explanation will help me to write a good proposal for this project. I
would like to summarize what i got form this, first I need to write a forge
plugin to generate RHQ plugin, The way it generate this RHQ plugin is
asking the questions in terminal the usual way that forge works. And
according to the use given input, it will generate require
classes(discovery and component) and plugin descriptor and pom.xml files
and also file hierarchy of the generated RHQ plugin project which we can
easily open in IDE and start to write RHQ plugin.

Component class which related to this plugin should extend according to the
input given by user when it is being generated. The whole purpose of this
project is to provide the user friendly environment to generate RHQ plugins
with Forge.

Are there any additional things that should be added to the proposal or
above requirements are best fit to the scope of the project?

Thanks
Shameera.

Shameera Rathnayaka
Undergraduate