Search Bar reimplementation in SmartGWT

Ian Springer ian.springer at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 19:51:59 UTC 2012

+1 on rewriting the search bar using SmartGWT widgets.

On 06/04/2012 03:29 PM, mike thompson wrote:
> The most dangerous aspect to the current search bar solution is that
> it has its own entry point; which effectively makes the search bar an
> application itself and we have problems with events between the two
> "separate" applications. We have:
> 1) CoreGUI.java EntryPoint for SmartGWT application
> 2) SearchGUI.java EntryPoint for GWT search application
>
> Essentially, two separate event loops (one for each application). They
> work independently along side one another; there is no real event
> overlap so things work reasonably well. Deeper interactions between
> GWT and SmartGWT will become problematic however. So its best to unify
> this event model under smartGWT now before interactions get more complex.
>
> NOTE: I don't believe the gwt widgets need their own module
> (EntryPoint). The gwt widgets could also be added to a Canvas or
> CanvasItem as a child with less side effects
> (http://forums.smartclient.com/showpost.php?p=33052&postcount=10
> <http://forums.smartclient.com/showpost.php?p=33052&postcount=10>)

The reason for the separate entry point is because pre JON 3.0, we
actually embedded the GWT search bar in portal-war JSF pages - sort of
the opposite of how we embed JSF iframes in some of our coregui GWT
views. Since, we no longer use any of the portal-war pages that use the
search bar, I think we can definitely do away with the separate entry
point. This could be done as an intermediate step in advance of a
complete rewrite of the search bar in SmartGWT.

> As for the charting, we can minimize the effects of events especially
> if the charts are read-only or only allow hover.  There is improved
> html 5 charts in smartgwt 3.1:
> http://blog.isomorphic.com/smart-gwt-3-1-smartclient-8-3-feature-roadmap/ so
> we will have to see what the html 5 canvas support is. This is really
> a whole other topic though (a good thread of its own).

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the SmartGWT charting stuff is
included in the LGPL/free edition of SmartGWT.