Cassandra Plugin

Michael Foley mfoley at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 21:00:20 UTC 2012

Hi Stefan,

Your note #1 is of interest to me:

1) Tests have been disabled at the moment because of missing Cassandra infrastructure to automatically start a Cassandra node or cluster. Until that is done plugin developers would need to manually re-enable these tests and have a Cassandra node running before executing them.

As you may or may not know, JON QE now has an operational Bladecenter running with RHEV and Foreman. Currently we have a decent set of templates ...and through the Foreman UI we can instantiate a VM. With a bit of extra work ... we can do some provisioning so that when the VM starts ... software is installed and configured .... we do this now with JON.

Here is what I am thinking:

    * step #1 ... RHEV template + Kickstart + script ... we make it snap simple to start a Cassandra node through the Foreman UI.
    * step #2 ... use this Cassandra node thing as a use-case .... start to develop an API (to be shared by JON development and JON QE) that can programmatically drive Foreman to set up test fixtures in the Bladecenter ...such as Cassandra. Picture this ... in @BeforeSuite you call this API which will automagically provision a Cassandra node ... then a whole bunch of @Test .... then in @AfterSuite we discard the VM.

Any interest in doing the aforementioned for Cassandra?

Michael Foley
QE Lead, JBoss Operations Network