RHQ Charting Type meeting recording

mike thompson mithomps at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 15:56:40 UTC 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 4:22 AM, Lukas Krejci <lkrejci at redhat.com> wrote:

> Actually, thinking about this, I think this type of line chart gives us a nice
> way of dealing with the "level of detail" discussion we had some time ago. The
> more in detail you look at such graph, the more blocky it is going to look.
> This way you clearly see that the data collection is not continuos yet you
> don't sacrifice the superior readability that the line charts have over the
> barcharts (when it comes to min, avg, max in a single graph).
>
> I did like the concept of adding additional layers of information into a
> single graph as Harlan showcased, but I think we need to strive for the
> maximum readability of the graphs, which, I must agree with Thomas, the
> barchart with whiskers doesn't offer - the graph is imho overly crowded and
> doesn't easily convey any trending information hidden in the data.
>
> Lukas

Yes, the simplicity and and accuracy of this type of line chart does make sense. I do like this better than the standard line chart where values are interpolated and may give somewhat of a false sense of trend (especially with spiking data).

It feels like there are two camps forming on charting:
	1) simple interval(blocky) line charts (non-continuous) that show trending data
	2) sophisticated bar/whiskers charts that show discrete intervals of data

We are working on a toggle between the two chart types to get simple/advanced charts.

Harlan & Catherine, can you create a mock-up of this interval line chart (perhaps modernizing it a bit)?

Then I'll incorporate that into the code.

-- Mike