gwt.draftCompile and coregui build failures

Ian Springer ian.springer at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 13:02:52 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 03:16 PM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
> this was something I brought up several weeks ago - I think on this mailing list (so there should be a thread on it somewhere).
>
> By using the OBF mode, we obfuscate as well as shrink the size of the JavaScript code. It makes loading and running the client app faster at the expense of these obfuscated stack traces.
>
> If you are in development mode, you can turn off the OBF mode and go back to the regular mode we were used to building with and get those meaningful stack traces.

To do that, add this to some activated profile in your settings.xml (I
add it to the 'dev' profile):

<!-- Make sure GWT-generated JavaScript code is not obfuscated. -->
<gwt.style>DETAILED</gwt.style>

> IIRC, we talked about building two apps in the distro - one (the default) build with OBF and thus faster, and another build in "debug" mode so we can get stacks. Users can switch if they are debugging an issue. If we can't ship in the distro, we'd at least have the "debug" app squirreled away somewhere for  people to install and use if debugging is necessary.

I think we should do this. The JavaScript stack traces are tricky enough
to analyze as it is, even without being obfuscated.

> Again, this was all discussed somewhere- I just can't remember where :)

IRC