gwt.draftCompile and coregui build failures

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 07:34:48 UTC 2012

Am 10.04.2012 um 18:38 schrieb mike thompson:

> I think there is an option c as well (that's faster)
>
> c) mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true process-resources gwt:i18n

This may be the better way than to disable draft compile.

I just got this following stack trace in the UI

java.lang.RuntimeException:Failed to add ResourceOperationSchedule: resource=[Resource[id=10892, uuid=7544df3e-286f-46ad-82fd-fe311b600d4d, type={jboss-as-7}Datasources, key=subsystem=datasources, name=datasources]],job-name=[null], job-group=[null], operation-name=[addXADatasource], subject=[Subject[id=2,name=rhqadmin]], description=[null]
   com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.IncompatibleRemoteServiceException:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument 0 for @NotNull parameter of org/rhq/core/domain/configuration/definition/ConfigurationDefinition.setName must not be null
--- STACK TRACE FOLGT ---
Failed to add ResourceOperationSchedule: resource=[Resource[id=10892, uuid=7544df3e-286f-46ad-82fd-fe311b600d4d, type={jboss-as-7}Datasources, key=subsystem=datasources, name=datasources]],job-name=[null], job-group=[null], operation-name=[addXADatasource], subject=[Subject[id=2,name=rhqadmin]], description=[null]
   at Unknown.gg(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.flh(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.jlh(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.CCb(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.LQh(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.wo(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.Zo(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.wh(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.zh(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument 0 for @NotNull parameter of org/rhq/core/domain/configuration/definition/ConfigurationDefinition.setName must not be null
   at Unknown.cg(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.fg(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.txb(Unknown Source)
   at Unknown.yxb(Unknown Source)

And this is how it looks like in the server log:

2012-04-11 09:32:03,571 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/coregui]] org.rhq.enterprise
.gui.coregui.CoreGUI OperationGWTService: An IncompatibleRemoteServiceException was thrown while processing this call.
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.IncompatibleRemoteServiceException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument 0 for @NotNu
ll parameter of org/rhq/core/domain/configuration/definition/ConfigurationDefinition.setName must not be null
        at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.decodeRequest(RPC.java:315)
        at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:206)
        at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:248)
        at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doPost(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:62)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
        at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.coregui.server.gwt.AbstractGWTServiceImpl.service(AbstractGWTServiceImpl.java:82)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor280.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess

> (jshaughn taught me that one)
>
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 9:53 AM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
>
>> I think I found the issue that has been plaguing most of us when
>> sometimes building the GWT coregui module.
>>
>> If you recall, it seems as though whenever we pull from git any changes
>> in coregui that a) add messages to Messages.properties or b) add to the
>> RHQ server-side GWT RPC API, the coregui build fails and we have to do a
>> mvn clean in coregui to get it to build again.
>>
>> I think this is a side-effect of using gwt.draftCompile=true (which you
>> probably have in your ~/.m2/settings.xml file). I think
>> gwt.draftCompile=true skips the code generation step for the i18n
>> message interface and the GWT Async interfaces.
>>
>> If you get errors while doing a coregui build, try one of these two
>> things - you have to either:
>>
>> a) mvn clean before rebuilding coregui
>>
>> or
>>
>> b) use -Dgwt.draftCompile=false as a mvn command line option.
>>
>> Note that turning off draftCompile actually DOUBLES my compilation time
>> on my box (coregui goes from ~2 minutes build time to ~4 minutes).

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München HRB 153243
Geschaeftsführer:  Mark Hegarty, Charlie Peters, Michael Cunningham, Charles Cachera