gwt.draftCompile and coregui build failures

John Mazzitelli jmazzite at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 16:53:28 UTC 2012

I think I found the issue that has been plaguing most of us when
sometimes building the GWT coregui module.

If you recall, it seems as though whenever we pull from git any changes
in coregui that a) add messages to Messages.properties or b) add to the
RHQ server-side GWT RPC API, the coregui build fails and we have to do a
mvn clean in coregui to get it to build again.

I think this is a side-effect of using gwt.draftCompile=true (which you
probably have in your ~/.m2/settings.xml file). I think
gwt.draftCompile=true skips the code generation step for the i18n
message interface and the GWT Async interfaces.

If you get errors while doing a coregui build, try one of these two
things - you have to either:

a) mvn clean before rebuilding coregui

or

b) use -Dgwt.draftCompile=false as a mvn command line option.

Note that turning off draftCompile actually DOUBLES my compilation time
on my box (coregui goes from ~2 minutes build time to ~4 minutes).