[gsoc12] Implement a big screen dashboard for RHQ

manu [ranga] rcmperera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:07:51 UTC 2012

Thanks for the prompt feedback!
I have updated the proposal and following is a summary of the ‘diff’
.
> For mid-term I think adding/deleting of individual graphs should be possible so that the user can compose his big-charts page.

Yes, I was thinking of the same thing. I was just mentioning that
there will be only one metric *per* graph at that stage. I added the
clarifications now.

> of course this composition should be somehow stored

In the implementation section I was mentioning a JSON object. I was
suggesting, to keep all the composition/configuration sate in that.
This object will be stored in the back end. Of cause it can be any
other data format such as XML, but JSON will be easier to manipulate
at the front end.

> the latter would also possibly allow that other users take already created dashboards, clone them and modify them to their gusto.

Added this

>Please also investigate plotting more than 60 items
>- all collected data with some (horizontal) scrolling
>- all collected data with smaller dot/bar size (e.g. currently a bar is 5px wide. With 1px, we could display 300 dots)

I added a section suggesting Y-axis to have three configurable types.
fixed (user specifies the number of slots)
growing (infinite slots, with scrolling)
auto (resolution gets smaller to accommodate all points)

I was thinking of additionl features but wasn’t sure I should add them
to the proposal since they look more like minor implementation
details. I’d like some advice on what to add.

    Tool tips indicating value of a point when mouse is over.
    Ability to select a subsection of the graph with mouse and zooming in.
    Showing average, cumulative.
    Zooming and panning using mouse.

Thanks, and feedback is welcomed.

--