Code formatting

Charles Crouch ccrouch at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 16:31:17 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> That sounds good.
>
> But one other important thing: If you decide to reformat an existing
> file that is not formatted according to the standard, do it in a
> separate formatting-only commit. Do not include it in the same commit
> as
> any significant code changes (e.g. a bug fix or an enhancement).

+1000
I'd say we should be doing this for *any* code change

>The reason is that then it is very hard for people to review the diff for
> the significant code changes, because it is cluttered with
> reformatting
> changes. I think I noticed Stefan just checked in a change to the
> Eclipse settings file that causes Eclipse to only reformat changed
> lines, rather than the entire file, which is great (this is what
> IntelliJ does by default).

Once someone alters these file, can we put some sort of notice out to the devel list about the change.
Just a heads up that something that could potentially impact anything in the code base (not that we are doing a code base wide reformatting!) has been changed