Postgres 9.1 and string escapes

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 18:16:33 UTC 2011

With Postgres 9.1 (out of the box) I can not log in and get this  error in the console log:

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: invalid escape string
  Hinweis: Escape string must be empty or one character.

This comes from the fact that postgres 9.1 by default uses
"standard conforming strings" - those got introduced in 8.x already,
but were turned off and only warned about.
See http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What%27s_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.1#Backward_compatibility_issues

We can put the following in postgresql.conf and signal Postgres to reload the
config in order to get it working again:

standard_conforming_strings = off

I have the impression that to fix this out of the box, we would need
a newer version of hibernate('s postgres dialect). Upgrading to the 9.1
driver does not fix it.

  Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn