Dependent resources

Ian Springer ian.springer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 19:47:45 UTC 2011

We should also consider adding a first-class concept of managed resource
lifecycle management. The new plugin API could look something like:

interface LifecycleFacet {

     boolean startManagedResource();
     boolean stopManagedResource();

}

If we had this, along with defined relationships, either the Server or
the plugin container could orchestrate starting a managed Resource and
all its dependency Resources in the correct order. I think this would
allow us to provide generic support for dependency-aware Resource
lifecycle management, except for the case where the user wants to define
a set of Resources as runtime dependencies of their "application",
where that application is not represented as an RHQ Resource. That case
could require a server plugin and/or even further additions to the
domain model.