Hadoop plugin questions; JMX

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 12:18:58 UTC 2011

Elias,

Am 20.10.2011 um 03:15 schrieb Elias Ross:

> I'm seriously looking at the Hadoop plugin but have a couple of
> comments and questions.
>
> 1. Not sure why the traditional JMX plugin was not used. Is the JMX
> plugin not sufficient? I do notice the metrics across multiple MBeans

I wrote the current state quite some time ago and after that never got around
to work more on it. So this means, this plugin is not carved in stone.

I think the main reason for me to write it the way it is was to have a
"hadoop" server top-level resource with the various stuff below it and
not having a dozen resources scattered around the resource tree

> get grouped together nicely but I don't see much value in doing this.
> Can I simply drop this code and start fresh? Or is this an approach

Sure.

> 2. It's incomplete, obviously, and many of the metrics don't show up

Yes, definitively. See above :-)

> with the Cloudera version I need, which is perhaps newer. I do intend
> to fix this. Is there any need to keep what's there? (I'd say no.)

Not from my side.

> 3. There are many values that are totals and available, so I'd like to
> make ratios out of them. For example, if the total space is 1TB and
> the available is 10GB, I'd like to set up an alert on < 10%
> availability. What's the recommendation on how to alert on something
> like this? (Maybe more of a user question, I guess.)

We currently do not have the possibilities to alert on ratios, so the plugin
would need to provide that. We are thinking of adding this into alerting
at some point in time, but not rsn.

> 4. Are there tools for generating rhq-plugin.xml from an MBean server
> connection? Basically it would spit out a <service> for each

You could tweak the pluginGen plugin generator to not get its input
from command line / stdin, but from going out to jmx and reading
objects that match an objectname query. And then use the
existing templating to create the artifacts.

   Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn