New Release Script

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 02:34:12 UTC 2011

Hello Everybody,

The new release.sh script is almost complete. The work can be found on this branch: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=rhq/rhq.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stefan/release_updates

Here are major changes for this version:
1) Full support for the tagging and branching model described on http://www.rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/Source+Control
2) Robust parsing of script options with getopt.
3) The actual work is abstracted away in functions. The main script is just a set of function calls. This makes the script modular and easier to understand.
4) Very generic functions are now abstracted into a lib file shared with the publish_release script.
5) The maven release plugin is replaced by maven versions plugin + git commands. This makes the tagging procedure easier to debug, understand, and update.
6) Better overall documentation. For example, the tagging algorithm has documentation for each line.

I would appreciate some feedback before I merge. Simeon is already reviewing the script but more eyes would be greatly appreciated.

I am still testing the script which might lead to a couple more changes, but the script should be fairly stable. If you see some weird branches and tags being added to git do not get alarmed, I will clean everything up once I am done.

Thank you,
Stefan Negrea

Software Engineer