commit information in BZ

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 23:51:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 00:32 +0100, Lukas Krejci wrote:
> +-1, depending on which side of the fence you are :)
>
> For devs, this is yet another of the million of things to remember when fixing
> a bug. But you usually fix the bz once and you are done.
> When you browse bugzilla you usually jump between many BZs to sort them out
> and so doing the same thing each time you need to see the commit is, when
> summed up, even more time consuming then remembering to put that URL in the
> BZ.
>
> But I'm a dev and don't want to remember yet another thing ;)

It does go both ways but it seems more time consuming to copy and paste
a commit hash into the browser then it does to just add the URL to the
BZ when you are documenting the commit and change.

However, one could also argue that putting the URL in the BZ doesn't
make much sense if there is a change in source repositories or SCM.

What this might boil down to is the bug tracking system should support
SCM integration. Much like the JIRA plug-ins so that if a commit message
contains a BZ ID, it can associate BZ with the commit(s) and provide the
links to SCM in BZ. Additionally, if a commit hash is detected in the
BZ, it can provide a link to that commit in the BZ.

--
Larry O'Leary
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112645929986009801513