Hadoop plugin questions; JMX

Elias Ross genman at noderunner.net
Thu Nov 10 18:04:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'd say that is mostly solved - have a look at PluginGen.java:283+ "generate()" method.

So I have completed (mostly) the JMX plugin generator. Well, at the
moment all it does is generate the rhq-plugin.xml part but that's all
I need to code my Hadoop plugin.

At some point when I get my people to review it's okay, I'll send it
along to Bugzilla.

Couple of comments:

The plugin generator is interactive. I don't think this makes sense
for my use case so I'm driving the generator off of system properties,
e.g. you can start it using this:

java ... -Djmx.connectionType=org.mc4j.ems.connection.support.metadata.J2SE5ConnectionTypeDescriptor
-Djmx.address=service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://xxx-hadoop008:10106/jmxrmi
-Djmx.credentials=xxx
-Djmx.principal=yyy
-Djmx.query=hadoop:*

I don't think the regular plugin generator itself is terribly useful,
mainly since it asks too many questions users won't know how to
answer. (And too many in general.)

I think annotations are the way to go, and I see you can write a
generator for that. But it then begs the question: Why not simply
bypass the generator itself and support CDI for plugins and do away
with the XML descriptor?